what are you driving?

Reaction score
I drive a Landcruiser 100 Series V8 petrol. In Australia we have crazy fuel prices but I only live 5km from work so don't use it much except for trips. Wouldn't sell it if I won the lotto. Ok maybe buy a better condition one lol.

Next year I am hoping to move to an very remote town that is isolated by road for half of the year in wet season.

The ads say its called Cruiser Country...I wouldn't;t want anything else lol

Reaction score
That was fast...

Cyclist hit me, he had the right of way but he was going way too fast. He said he was going around 30 kp/h.
I was exiting this small road going right and stopped, I drive here pretty often and am always extra careful here. (streetview)

Reaction score
That was fast...

Cyclist hit me, he had the right of way but he was going way too fast. He said he was going around 30 kp/h.
I was exiting this small road going right and stopped, I drive here pretty often and am always extra careful here. (streetview)

No mention of how the poor cyclist is!

So he had right of way and was within the speed limit... reading your post it seems you are aggrieved; why?

I commute to work on a bicycle daily and 30kph is not fast, in fact it is below my average for the kind of roads you've shown.

I'll just leave it there!

Reaction score
Because if he was paying attention he would've clearly seen me stopped there, and he should know better commuting here almost every day knowing that it's an extremely dangerous intersection.
It's true that by defenition of the law I was at fault here, but he could've done more to save himself from crashing into me.

There is NO way I could've seen him coming at his speed, look at it from my angle:

Google Maps

Reaction score
If it wasn't for the fact you've still not mentioned the rider (I assume he isn't hurt), your defence would be laughable! Cyclists have the right to ride along a road without fear of be 'blamed' for not slowing down when a car approaches or is sat at a junction. It is the individual driver's responsibility to ensure other road users are safe, not that other road users should compensate for your ineptitude. Cyclists shouldn't have to slow down or 2nd guess what a motorist will do, the cyclist has a right to maintain his pace and line... do other car drivers slow down everytime they see a car pull up to a junction?

Henrythe8

Dolphin Hoarder
Reaction score
Took possession of a Ford Mondéo SW "Vignale" replacing my S-Max.
Damn. That car has everything. I mean, EVERYTHING. Leather seats, heating AND COOLING, massage, reads the signs on the road, parks itself...
Well, it's my wif's car, I still have my wonderful 2004 Beamer 330ci Cab :)

Reaction score
If it wasn't for the fact you've still not mentioned the rider (I assume he isn't hurt), your defence would be laughable! Cyclists have the right to ride along a road without fear of be 'blamed' for not slowing down when a car approaches or is sat at a junction. It is the individual driver's responsibility to ensure other road users are safe, not that other road users should compensate for your ineptitude. Cyclists shouldn't have to slow down or 2nd guess what a motorist will do, the cyclist has a right to maintain his pace and line... do other car drivers slow down everytime they see a car pull up to a junction?

Cyclist wasnt hurt.
But it doesn't matter to me what rights he has or what he shouldn't have to do.

If you KNOW you're approaching a dangerous intersection at a high speed shouldn't your first priority be to pay attention to the potential danger area and maybe slow down?
Everytime I cycle I'm always extra cautious of cars that may or may not see me. Driving defensively is not just reserved for motorcycles.
He did neither, he was looking the other way according to him, and it cost him his bike.

I'm not putting any blame on him, but he could've done better himself.

Reaction score
"But it doesn't matter to me what rights he has or what he shouldn't have to do"... Face, meet palm!

Hoggles

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Good to hear the cyclist is ok. Which is simply amazing, considering the damage to the car and his bike. Poor guy.

Hardy

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
I hate cyclists! As long as I'm not the cyclist, then I hate car drivers!

Gnermo, my first thought was too: what happened to that guy? A damaged car can be fixed. Be happy this accident only caused material damage. And please think about this: our civil laws and rules were developed over more than two thousand years. Means if civil law gives you responsibility you can be sure you are also morally responsible. Now I hope your insurance regulates the damage.

boston asphalt2

Official Forum Pain in the Ass
Reaction score
"But it doesn't matter to me what rights he has or what he shouldn't have to do"... Face, meet palm!

If you're going to cherry pick one sentence so as to remove context to make your point, then just stop because it shows you have zero interest in an actual discussion and just want to take a dig on his point of view. You can attack people elsewhere.

Reaction score
If you're going to cherry pick one sentence so as to remove context to make your point, then just stop because it shows you have zero interest in an actual discussion and just want to take a dig on his point of view. You can attack people elsewhere.

I am not cherry picking my quotes, that sentence alone (not taken out of context as the rest of the info is readily visible) deserves a face/palm for the dismissal of someone's RIGHTS! Neither am I 'attacking' someone; I am questioning a person's attitude toward the rights and safety of another human being. To apportion blame or to try and deflect guilt onto an innocent person is simply not acceptable in a modern forward thinking society.
I assume folks on here might be friendly with Gnermo, which might mean that my comments are less than comfortable... it doesn't make me some kind of ogre, why should I pat someone on the back that is trying to deflect or mitigate a situation like this? Gnermo might well be a perfectly nice, good, respectable guy but my responses are to the attitude to the cyclist.
I drive approx 20,000 km per year, I ride a motorbike and I choose to commute 10km to work each day but I do get tired/sick of having to justify my rights as a cyclist IF I am complying with the law. If someone (a cyclist) doesn't follow the law then they have themselves to blame but as far as I can see the cyclist was doing nothing wrong and the OP should really have taken all of the blame on the chin and I'd not have even commented.

boston asphalt2

Reaction score
I am not cherry picking my quotes, that sentence alone (not taken out of context as the rest of the info is readily visible) deserves a face/palm for the dismissal of someone's RIGHTS! Neither am I 'attacking' someone; I am questioning a person's attitude toward the rights and safety of another human being. To apportion blame or to try and deflect guilt onto an innocent person is simply not acceptable in a modern forward thinking society.
I assume folks on here might be friendly with Gnermo, which might mean that my comments are less than comfortable... it doesn't make me some kind of ogre, why should I pat someone on the back that is trying to deflect or mitigate a situation like this? Gnermo might well be a perfectly nice, good, respectable guy but my responses are to the attitude to the cyclist.
I drive approx 20,000 km per year, I ride a motorbike and I choose to commute 10km to work each day but I do get tired/sick of having to justify my rights as a cyclist IF I am complying with the law. If someone (a cyclist) doesn't follow the law then they have themselves to blame but as far as I can see the cyclist was doing nothing wrong and the OP should really have taken all of the blame on the chin and I'd not have even commented.

It's cherry picking because you don't address anything else he says in that post, regardless of whether the information is visible or not. It's an indicator that you build your segment around only one part of what he is saying. Hell, your last sentence in your post I quoted highlights exactly what I'm talking about!

Put it this way, even if you are not at fault when you are in an accident, you should still be an active driver/rider and staying aware. Just because you aren't at fault doesn't mean you couldn't have/shouldn't have done things to insure you aren't involved in an accident. The biker, by how the accident happened, is not at fault, however he was not being an active rider (by his own admission), something that if he had done, he might have not been involved in an accident.

Reaction score
I addressed everything in Gnermo's post that there was to address... if info isn't available/visible then it can't conceivably be addressed!

However, if you are talking about implied or supposition we can't discuss whether the cyclist was pro-active in this situation because we only have the info provided from one side. For all we know (and it IS supposition), the car could have pulled out from the junction not giving the rider time to respond... we really don't know. What I can see and read is an attitude to a person/situation which does 'seem' to be blaming another party who legally is in the right.

Just out of interest, where in this debate does the rider admit to not being 'active'? I've reread this several times and aside from admitting riding at 30kph (was that in excess of the local speed limit?), I can't see how the rider has admitted not being vigilant? I'm unsure about other countries but in the UK a situation like this isn't an accident, as that implies that nothing could be done; it is a road traffic collision because someone is at fault and has 'caused' the collision... not the cyclist I assume?

boston asphalt2

Reaction score
I addressed everything in Gnermo's post that there was to address... if info isn't available/visible then it can't conceivably be addressed!

However, if you are talking about implied or supposition we can't discuss whether the cyclist was pro-active in this situation because we only have the info provided from one side. For all we know (and it IS supposition), the car could have pulled out from the junction not giving the rider time to respond... we really don't know. What I can see and read is an attitude to a person/situation which does 'seem' to be blaming another party who legally is in the right.

Just out of interest, where in this debate does the rider admit to not being 'active'? I've reread this several times and aside from admitting riding at 30kph (was that in excess of the local speed limit?), I can't see how the rider has admitted not being vigilant? I'm unsure about other countries but in the UK a situation like this isn't an accident, as that implies that nothing could be done; it is a road traffic collision because someone is at fault and has 'caused' the collision... not the cyclist I assume?

LOL just LOL. You realize I'm not saying Gnermo was not at fault, right? Since we only have one sides information to go on, why do you dismiss the dangerousness of that area there, as stated by Gnermo? Since all we have it it on is what he stated, we should be taking ALL of it into account.

Again, Gnermo is in the wrong for the accident, but I think your pants tightened just a tad too fast on this situation.

Reaction score
"pants tightened just a tad too fast"

Possibly but then again I have nearly been taken out twice this week alone, in what I expect is almost the identical situation as described! Only difference being that on both occasions 'I' prevented the accident but on one of the occasions it resulted in me sprawled face down across a road (with the driver heading off into the distance oblivious; oh and yes the police were given his reg number by a driver that stopped to help me and witnessed it). Why should those drivers assume that I am going to stop for them... oh they can't because they were oblivious to me and more interested in making a break in the traffic and getting on with their journey at the greatest haste.

Hardy

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Looking for confrontation?

IMG_7252a.jpg

Hardy

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Wanna wanna wanna wannaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!! Oh, it´s electric! I´m safe.

Top Bottom