Thumb Bo Experts, Help Me Here Please!

Reaction score
Dear fellas i got my eye on a thumb bo5. The seller say´s the previsous owner tried to erase the serial number, (who knows why ) so i can´t ask for detailed info from Warwick.
The seller say´s it must be from 95, with a bubinga body. What do you think? Walnut? bubinga? which year?
Thanks in advance.

bo5a.JPG
bo5b.JPG
bo5c.JPG

Reactions: RIP

Hoggles

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
To me, it looks like a '94....as it still has the original Thumb truss rod cover. Sometime in '95, they switched to the bubble font, for the truss rod cover.

Body is most likely Walnut, though the color does look like Bubinga a little bit. Can't really make out any sort of grain in the pics. Dats a dirty Thumb.

I'm gonna say, '94 Walnut. I could be wrong though.

Reaction score
Well, it seems i couldn´t hold myself and bought it as a Xmas present .:D It was a realy nice deal.
I took a few more pictures of the wood grain so you guys can take another look. The serial is very worn out but i can read 93 at the end of it.

upload_2016-12-19_10-55-22.png

upload_2016-12-19_10-56-6.png
upload_2016-12-19_10-56-57.png
upload_2016-12-19_11-0-26.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-12-19_10-58-29.png
    upload_2016-12-19_10-58-29.png
    298.5 KB · Views: 315

Hoggles

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Well, it seems i couldn´t hold myself and bought it as a Xmas present .:D It was a realy nice deal.
I took a few more pictures of the wood grain so you guys can take another look. The serial is very worn out but i can read 93 at the end of it.

View attachment 16321

View attachment 16322 View attachment 16323 View attachment 16325

Ahhh a '93. Nice! They started making them sometime in the Spring of that year I believe (March possibly). You definitely have one of the first Thumb BO's ever made. Especially one of the first 5 strings.

Two very different slabs of what does still look like Walnut (I think...though Warwick did use some Etimoe around that time, now that I think about it). That top piece with the layer effect is pretty unique. That is one of the more dirty wicks I've seen in a while. Don't think it was cleaned once since '93 ;) Beauty though...and a little piece of history with the first year and all :)

Reaction score
Ahhh a '93. Nice! They started making them sometime in the Spring of that year I believe (March possibly). You definitely have one of the first Thumb BO's ever made. Especially one of the first 5 strings.

Two very different slabs of what does still look like Walnut (I think...though Warwick did use some Etimoe around that time, now that I think about it). That top piece with the layer effect is pretty unique. That is one of the more dirty wicks I've seen in a while. Don't think it was cleaned once since '93 ;) Beauty though...and a little piece of history with the first year and all :)

Nice :) I just can`t read the serial, but i´ll try with some diferent lights to see if i can find out more.
By the way...that´s not dirt, the tecnical name is mojo :D
In fact the bass is pretty clean and free of gunk. I Guess it´s only missing some wax.

Augie

The Desert Bass-ape
Reaction score
You can do a rubbing of the serial number to try and get a bit more detail. put a bit of thin paper over it, and rub over it with a soft pencil. you might get an imprint that way with more detail than you can see with just your eyes.

Hoggles

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Nice :) I just can`t read the serial, but i´ll try with some diferent lights to see if i can find out more.
By the way...that´s not dirt, the tecnical name is mojo :D
In fact the bass is pretty clean and free of gunk. I Guess it´s only missing some wax.

Hey I totally trust ya. By the way, I found a pic if the previous owner....

nathan-benn-st-albans-1973-hands_0.jpg

I kid of course :p That is badass, gorgeous Thumb :) With heavy, beautiful, mojo :D

Try what Augie suggested. Whatever number is in the middle group, is exactly what number BO that is historically :)

Top ten maybe? :eek::D

Reaction score
You can do a rubbing of the serial number to try and get a bit more detail. put a bit of thin paper over it, and rub over it with a soft pencil. you might get an imprint that way with more detail than you can see with just your eyes.
Great idea!! unfortunately i couldn't get the results i was expecting. The grain of the wood din´t help either.

Hey I totally trust ya. By the way, I found a pic if the previous owner....

View attachment 16327

I kid of course :p That is badass, gorgeous Thumb :) With heavy, beautiful, mojo :D

Try what Augie suggested. Whatever number is in the middle group, is exactly what number BO that is historically :)

Top ten maybe? :eek::D

I´m pretty shure the guy had his hands washed for the picture. :D

I tried with several light directions and as far as i can tell, it´s seems to me it´s Nº88 ... not completely shure though.

Nice n' dirty bass, looks like it has never been cleaned/waxed.

Yup, i wonder what will happend if i put some wax on it. Will the darken edges get lighter? or it will only protec the wood from moisture? o_O

Hoggles

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Great idea!! unfortunately i couldn't get the results i was expecting. The grain of the wood din´t help either.

I´m pretty shure the guy had his hands washed for the picture. :D

I tried with several light directions and as far as i can tell, it´s seems to me it´s Nº88 ... not completely shure though.

Yup, i wonder what will happend if i put some wax on it. Will the darken edges get lighter? or it will only protec the wood from moisture? o_O

It's probably pretty much already sealed, with all the patina/mojo/ball bearing grease :p...might not need to ever wax her.

#88 would be about right. In the first 100 of any bass model, is pretty damn cool! Enjoy that beauty!

Top Bottom