=The Warwick Corvette Club=

kimgee

Wenge Taste Tester
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Real Name
depends on who's asking
I never looked at the control diagram, but if you have a flip switch and the outside of the switch is up, the inside should be down, right?
So it makes perfect sense to talk about the position on the outside and put the controls inside upside down...

Now I got headache...
Ok......if I am understanding you correctly, you are saying that if you have an innie, up is down, and if you have an outie, then down is up. Got it!!!o_O:rolleyes::confused::D;)

P.S. This is easier to understand if you hold it up to a mirror.

kimgee

Wenge Taste Tester
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Real Name
depends on who's asking
This was just too much of a strain for my little bitty brain, so I called the guy who knows......Ron, at the Nashville Showroom, has assured me that the laws of physics are indeed intact, and up is still up and down is very down. So, when looking at the control diagram for the $$..........ignore the control diagram. If the text says up, that is UP toward the bridge. Conversely, down is in fact DOWN toward the ground. What a relief. I can sleep tonight. This means that my $$ sounds like a Warwick when both pups are set to humbucking/parallel. Whew, I need to rest now.;)

RIP

California U.S.A.
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
I will be very interested to hear what you think of the tone from your $$. The one I got recently definitely has the Warwick growl with both the toggle switches flipped away from the bridge. If yours doesn't have the growl, it will re-enforce my theory that the growl is wenge related. I have found Warwick's control instructions for the $$ confusing. When they talk about the position of the switches they just say up or down, but the control diagram is upside down, so is up down and down up? Can anyone clear that confusion up?
As for recommendations, watch Reverb, Talkbass, or wherever for mid '90s Streamer, Fortress, and Corvette models with all wenge necks and brass JAN1 nuts. They frequently sell for under $1000 and have the growl. The exception would be the Fortress Flasback which has a more retro muted thump coming from it's lipstick pups. Good hunting!
@kimgee, I don't have much to report as it is what I thought I was when I first seen it, a Rockbass Corvette SS.

Beautiful bass, but not what I'm really looking for right now

The only reason I took a chance on it was, when I called and asked if it had a pre amp and the answer was yes, I made the order.

So I returned it on the spot

Sorry man, the answer on the wenge is still unsolved for now

Last edited:

kimgee

Wenge Taste Tester
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Real Name
depends on who's asking
Oh well, thanks for the update anyway my friend.

Reactions: RIP
Reaction score
Real Name
Adam
Thanks to Marco my Corvette family has grown :)
Vettes2.jpg (1 of 1).jpg

Hoggles

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Oh yes it has. Wow! Beauties!! Congrats!

Didn't realize he sold it. Glad it stayed in the extended family :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Wow our collection is so similar except the strings are sometimes different! :D
I'll post a picture soon.

Reaction score
Real Name
Adam
Please do, love to see it.
They are all great basses just different personalities ;)

RIP

California U.S.A.
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Wow!!.....I don't think I've been on a forum were I've seen so many beautiful basses.

Very nice @aguacollas

kimgee

Wenge Taste Tester
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Real Name
depends on who's asking
Well, since I am turning 60 :oops: in December I decided to get myself a special birthday present. If I don't, no one else will that's for sure. So I found an incredible deal on a 2016 LTD that was made in December 2015 at The Bass Place. It is just so darn purdy:
20161117_210350.jpg 20161117_210809.jpg 20161117_210152.jpg 20161117_210736.jpg 20161117_210034.jpg 20161117_210831.jpg

Hoggles

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Well, since I am turning 60 :oops: in December I decided to get myself a special birthday present. If I don't, no one else will that's for sure. So I found an incredible deal on a 2016 LTD that was made in December 2015 at The Bass Place. It is just so darn purdy:
View attachment 16183 View attachment 16184 View attachment 16185 View attachment 16186 View attachment 16187 View attachment 16188

Like you need any special reason to buy another bass :rolleyes: :p Wow, congrats on the LTD! White ebony fretboard is pretty damn sexy. So is that Walnut burl. Stoked!

View attachment 16138 View attachment 16139 View attachment 16140 My Corvette Jazzman with its new horn extension, thanks to the design of AdzNadz and Nieltse's help.

More comfortable to play on the first two frets and better balance.

Now I only have to learn how to play fretless. ;p

That is a sweet Vette aguacollas! Are those inlays an after purchase mod?

aguacollas

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Not really.
I had problems with the original ovangkol neck and I was really lucky I found a luthier who had a rockbass maple neck he had put a new fretless fretboard in. With inlays.

Turns out years ago he was asked to turn a rockbass neck into fretless but the guy never showed up to pay and get the bass back.

So we tried it and the neck fitted perfectly. He got paid and I got a new neck.

Never liked the inlays too much, and I would have liked to have a lined fretless to begin with, but sometimes you just get what you get, so...

Still struggling with intonation with this one, but I really love the tones I get.
And it is a hell of a bass.

My dream is to be able to gig with this fretless. We'll see :)

aguacollas

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Btw this horn extension just works. Direct replacement, easy to change, cheap, and it works. Brilliant.

It changes the looks of the bass though, but I don't really care that much, too many two and a half hours gigs with pain in my wrist...

kimgee

Wenge Taste Tester
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Real Name
depends on who's asking
Like you need any special reason to buy another bass :rolleyes: :p Wow, congrats on the LTD! White ebony fretboard is pretty damn sexy. So is that Walnut burl. Stoked!

Ahhh yes, the joy and wonders of zero percent plastic. The bankers seem to be getting a little desperate. They made me an offer I could not refuse......2% up front and then 0% for 13 months. With REAL inflation running at least 7%, it's like they paid me to take their money! Add to that the crazy deal I got from Randy at The Bass Place, $2600 USD shipped, and all I could say was......SOLD!!!:D
Yep, it's black walnut burl on a black korina body. It is pretty amazing I must say. Without a doubt the easiest playing bass I have ever had my grubby paws on. The Warwick site says it is a natural satin finish. Does that mean it's sealed and I should use a cleaner/polish on it, or would the bee's wax paste be the thing to use? I thought I saw somewhere that the satin finish was a sealed finish, but I can't seem to find that info now. I have grown to prefer the natural wood finishes, but the burl is maybe too fragile for that? I really am not well informed on this topic I'm afraid.

Top Bottom