GPS Corvette output jack too narrow?

Reaction score
Hi!

First time poster here, and more importantly first time Warwick owner. (Woo Hoo!)

I've just received a new 2015 GPS Corvette 4 $$. It's off to my tech to get a good setup and decent strings, and then I'll hopefully see what it can really do, but in the meanwhile, there is one thing that surprised me:

It looks like the output jack on this bass is a bit more narrow than usual. My Fender guitar-cables fit with no issue, but my more expensive Vox cables simply doesn't fit, nor do my (much cheaper) RockCable patch cables, that I tried just as an experiment - and these are from a Warwick brand...

Has anyone seen this and can explain? This is really very odd. These jacks are (usually) highly standardized...

I vaguely remember reading about this on a user-review on the site of one of the major retailers (MF, or Sweetwater). The guy said he ended up ordering a jack from Carvin and had his tech replace it. He said it's the exact same form-factor...

Thanks!

Hoggles

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! And congrats on the new Corvette! It's a beauty.

That's very strange. I would say maybe it was a manufacturing defect...or a bur or something blocking it, but if your Fender cables fit...the others should too.

Yeah, 1/4 inch jacks and cables are totally standardized. Hence...they are 1/4 inch. Not like it's "sorta" 1/4 inch :lol:

I imagine you've held each up together, just to check visually if there is any difference between the Vox, Fender, Warwick cables?

Hmmm. Very strange. Do you have another bass or guitar that all three fit into just fine?

Reaction score
Uh oh, Warwick distributors need to watch this. Don't want to ship a million faulty inputs to the world!

Reaction score
Hmmm. Very strange. Do you have another bass or guitar that all three fit into just fine?

Yes, all these cables fit perfectly into my other 4 guitars (Ibanez, Carvin, "Vintage").

I'm pretty sure it's not the cables that are at fault here.

Very strange indeed....

Hoggles

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Yes, all these cables fit perfectly into my other 4 guitars (Ibanez, Carvin, "Vintage").

I'm pretty sure it's not the cables that are at fault here.

Very strange indeed....

Gotcha. The strangest thing is that the Fender's fit fine. Very odd.

Henrythe8

Dolphin Hoarder
Reaction score
Would you care to elaborate ?
Are the jacks impossible to enter ? Or are they blocked once entered ? (I see a gazillion funny adult jokes to make here, but let's not, OK :) )

Reaction score
Real Name
Chris
The few I've tried at the shop in Nashville have been fine. Hopefully this is just a one-off defect.

Reaction score
Would you care to elaborate ?
Are the jacks impossible to enter ? Or are they blocked once entered ? (I see a gazillion funny adult jokes to make here, but let's not, OK :) )

Basically they simply don't go in. Either the tip, or the main shaft seem to be too wide. Maybe I'll pull out my trusty Mitutoyo calipers later today and take some measurements.

FWIW, 2 different Fender-branded cables that I've tried fit well, and also the Neutrik javk that my tech uses worked with no issue - it's just the other cables that don't.

Henrythe8

Dolphin Hoarder
Reaction score
Dat's weird. It could have been the tip inside that was a bit too tight, but no entrance is... weird.
Does your "other" jacks wear sneakers ?
'cuz in my region, you can't go into a dicotheque with sneakers, you ned to have proper shoes.
:D

Curtis

Editor De Bassist magazine (NL)
Reaction score
I once bought a very cheap cable and the jack just fell out of the input.. Strange but it was a bit slimmer than normal. I do have basses in which some cables it perfectly and in which others are very tight.

Hoggles

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
I once bought a very cheap cable and the jack just fell out of the input.. Strange but it was a bit slimmer than normal. I do have basses in which some cables it perfectly and in which others are very tight.

Yeah, you'd think with such a standardized size, it wouldn't be an issue. Same as a USB port etc.

Reaction score
Real Name
Chris
I've noticed my Mogami's insert into any jack with a satisfying final click/seating, whereas something cheap like Planet Waves just go in and don't feel like they've been completely inserted.

I've gotten away from the cheap cables. There is a difference.

Top Bottom