My mind is set... I will become a luthier!

Reaction score
So everybody, my dad and I have decided to start building guitars! We have all the necessary woodworking tools and an amazing local hardwood warehouse. The first bass im gonna build is kind of a minage-a-trois of a Fender J-bass, a Spector NS2, and a Warwick Streamer. Specs are: neck-thru-body construction, 5 piece Wenge and Purpleheart neck, snakewood fingerboard, American Swamp Ash body wings with AAA quilted maple wing tops, curved ergonomic body profile, matching quilted maple headstock Veneer, Brass Hipshot bridge, gold Hipshot tuners, Brass nut, gold knobs (neck vol, bridge vol, tone), gold Schaller locking strap button system, gold jack plate, blue LED side dots, active EMG J5 pickups, whatever logo I come up with for my brand on the headstock and "MockingJ" model name on the truss rod cover. Friday I will order the core components in my bi weekly budget and draw up the master plan when they arrive.. Then, Pine prototype! mockingj birth.jpg mockingj conc.jpg mockingj.jpg

Augie

The Desert Bass-ape
Reaction score
Wow. starting simple and cheap I see!

That's an ambitious set of specs for a first build man. cant wait to see it!

Reaction score
Put a reverse P in the neck and you might just have a customer!

Also, consider a 21 fret neck and the bridge right at the edge of the body for better balance.

Don't mind me, I'm just vicariously living through you :p

Reaction score
Haha thanks for the support guys! It is very ambitious, but i've always been a "go big or go home" kinda person and im gonna do as many pine prototypes as it takes to get right! xD lol and i'm surprised nobody has given me crap about gold HW lol xD I have never been a fan, but it just seems right for the colors haha xD I will keep updates posted, but I can promise it is going to take several months for serial number 1. xP.

Reaction score
Good luck man! watch out for the wenge dust i think i read it may be toxic when inhaled. Personally! id go BLACK HW on that :) the blue would looks sick with it

Top Bottom