anyone installed a Detuner on the E string of their fiver?

Reaction score
There are certain songs that are more logical to play in drop d than in standard with the B string, eg. songs with lots of open D notes . Is it possible at all to install it on a warwick e string?

Reaction score
Saw this on ebay.
It seems the owner modded the lever. I guess you should do it too.

LoerEnd

Citizen Thumb
Reaction score
Is it possible at all to install it on a warwick e string?

Technically possible I guess, though you'll need one hell of a bridge cable or some stupid-high action to keep the flabbiness/rattliness at bay.

golem

Philosopher King
Reaction score
Technically possible I guess, though you'll need one hell of a bridge
cable or some stupid-high action to keep the flabbiness/rattliness at bay.

So you are saying that my dozen-plus 4-bangers tuned DGCF are
mostly pretty much unplayable ? I do wish someone had told me
this a dozen or so basses ago ......

Nachobassman

Bass, Tapas, and Rn´R!
Reaction score
There are certain songs that are more logical to play in drop d than in standard with the B string, eg. songs with lots of open D notes . Is it possible at all to install it on a warwick e string?

Hi,

OFC it is possible, a lot of people have them installed. Look what I´ve found with a simple use of forum´s search tool:

;)

Reaction score
Actually folks, it's not possible. The OP is asking to install a DeTuner on the E string of a FIVE string bass, which means the DeTuner has to fit between the A string and the B string on the headstock. Even if you can get the DeTuner installed, there's no way you can open/close it in that close proximity.

As another option, check out Sperzel locking tuners. They also have a detuner that attaches onto the existing tuner, which looks like it could work for your needs.

Nachobassman

Bass, Tapas, and Rn´R!
Reaction score
I swear I´ve seen a thread about that with pics, here in the forum.

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Question has been answered. Yes it is possible. No it is not possible with a standard hipshot type detuner.
Dropping your E to D on a five stringer is done in 1 second though so unless you want to detune in the middle of a song I'd not try to ruin a hipsot over this.

I just bring several basses. One of them is a four stringer tuned DADG.

Reaction score
Real Name
Chris
If you took the standard lever off a Hipshot to a machinist/welder along with the bass, he could fabricate a new lever that is spaced or angled out far enough that it won't interfere with any other tuners. The downside being that this could put excess pressure on that particular tuner if it is leaned against something or even when in a case, depending on how the final fit ends up.

I believe it can be done, but the question is, is it worth it to you to do it vs tuning down with a tuner when you need drop D.

Reaction score
I think you'd have to do more than have someone fabricate a new lever; that's only half of it. The other half is when that lever is opened up, the tuner shifts and rotates UP as the set screw hits the lever to set the new tuning of the string. Given that Warwick tuners are already turned DOWN, even if you get a new lever to clear the B string, your E tuner is going to hit the A string well before you can set the tuning to effectively hit a D with a DeTuner.

It would be cool if you could actually make it work, but you need something other than how the Hipshot is designed to make it feasible on an E string for a fiver.

Reaction score
I honestly think it takes all of 15 seconds to tune/detune between E and D.

Florin

OG
Reaction score
I honestly think it takes all of 15 seconds to tune/detune between E and D.

I think more like 3-4 seconds. You have already an open D, so you don't even need the tuner, just let the high D ring, and BOoooom! the E to D.
I used to do this pretty often, and with a little practice you start knowing how much to turn the tuner in the first place. It is more or less a full turn, than you listen the note or check the tuner.
:)

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Indeed. And then you start playing "Even Flow".

Reaction score
Oh this is quite simple.

Just re-string your bass so that it's tuned EADGB, with a low B where your G was, and the E is where your low B was, and just use a regular D-tuner.

<.<

>.>

But seriously, have you considered just installing the D-Tuner on your B string, and using B as the detuned note?

I.e. string your bass DEADG with a detuner on the low D, and set the detuner up such that it tunes to D when the lever is up, and B when the lever is down, and just skip the E string altogether when in D mode. Just a thought.

LoerEnd

Citizen Thumb
Reaction score
So you are saying that my dozen-plus 4-bangers tuned DGCF are
mostly pretty much unplayable ? I do wish someone had told me
this a dozen or so basses ago ......

Not too nice a way to put it, but I get your point. Might have been my mentioning the word "stupid" that sparked your fury... :)
Here...have a chill pill.

Reaction score
I think more like 3-4 seconds. You have already an open D, so you don't even need the tuner, just let the high D ring, and BOoooom! the E to D.
I used to do this pretty often, and with a little practice you start knowing how much to turn the tuner in the first place. It is more or less a full turn, than you listen the note or check the tuner.
:)

I agree with you...its pretty quick but didn't want to hurt feelings so I went with a longer time period. :p I go with listening to the note unless the guitarist is goofing off with some rambling.

Florin

OG
Reaction score
that's a good way to keep your guitarist as friend :)

Top Bottom