Feeling neck laminations= problem?

Nachobassman

Bass, Tapas, and Rn´R!
Reaction score
Hey fellas,

Since I bought my 2002 Infinity SN 5 two years ago I´ve been feeling just a little the neck laminations. I´ve never cared much about this, because the neck is extremely firm, it doesn´t even move with climate changes, but these days I´ve been thinking about it: Could this turn into a serious problem in the future? Is this "normal" or a sign that something is going wrong?

Any comment or advice will be welcome, as always.

Salud.

8:

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Just play te damn thing. When you touch a girl does feeling her boobs put you off? ;)

Florin

OG
Reaction score
Nope, no problem other than you feel them. I personally like to sand them down, then wax, but you don,t need to do it...

Nachobassman

Bass, Tapas, and Rn´R!
Reaction score
Nope, no problem other than you feel them. I personally like to sand them down, then wax, but you don,t need to do it...

Great, I´ll leave it as it is.

Just play te damn thing. When you touch a girl does feeling her boobs put you off? ;)
This is more like if the girl has forgoten to shave her legs. :D

I do like boobs 8:
IGy5Z.png

Thanx, guys. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Augie

The Desert Bass-ape
Reaction score
Hey Flo, what grade sandpaper do you use to get them down, then to get the neck smooth again? If its an easy fix i might smooth a neck or two this week

Curtis

Editor De Bassist magazine (NL)
Reaction score
I think it's part of the charm. When I just got the Buzzard (normal black finish, no oil) the back was totally smooth. After some months the lines of the lamination got visible on the back. Of course every wood dries or changes in an other way. i think it's cool to see and some sort of 'proof' it really is neck through and laminated. I have to say that I can't feel it on the back of the neck. If that would be the case I think I would sand it a bit if possible.

Reaction score
Sanding is not a problem, just go easy, then wax. It'll be smooth as a baby's bottom in no time. ;)

Florin

OG
Reaction score
Hi Augie, I actually used the finest steelwool, but I guess sandpaper should be better. We are talking about way less than a milimeter to remove, so it is a very easy job :)

Augie

The Desert Bass-ape
Reaction score
I thought it would be just as fine as possible, i have some 000 and 0000 steel wool sitting around, that should do it. My only concern with steel wool is the dust getting into the pups, do you tape them off? or just tread carefully? I recon i migtht go something like 800-1200 grit paper. I relaised that two of my basses have quite noticable laminations all the way down...although there are getting towrads teh 7 year old mark and in a mediterrenal climate so no surprises.

Reaction score
If you use Steel Wool anywhere near your instruments, be SURE to tape off the pickups completely...and blow the isntrument off with air before removing the tape. Steel Wool fragments will be attracted to the magnets in your pickups and could cause damage.

Augie

The Desert Bass-ape
Reaction score
Thats what i thought, steel wool is the only natural predator of the bumhucker.

Top Bottom