Upgrading a passive Corvette to active

Reaction score
Do any of you guys now if it is possible/easy to upgrade a passive Warwick to active? I'm thinking of buying a second hand Corvette Standard 5 passive for cheap and then upgrading it to active later on. Any thoughts? I assume I could just go straight to MEC and order the preamp etc.

Dave

Reaction score
yes you can just order the pre amp. no need to change the pups as far as I know. someone else may know for sure.

Reaction score
Corvettes can be passive/passive, passive/active and active/active. First stands for pick-ups and the second for electronics. So if you're going to buy passive/passive Corvette you can fit it with whatever electronics you want as long as it has configuration for the three holes/knobs. Presumably you don't wanna new holes in your bass.

Reaction score
So basically, I can order a Corvette Passive/Passive and then have a luthier fit it with active EMG pickups and also an active preamp? (Without drilling anything)

golem

Philosopher King
Reaction score

New holes is cool.

It's leftover empty holes thaz uncool.

Can we all say "Kill Switch" ?

Altogether now:

"Kee-uhl Suh-widge"

Now wasn't that easy ? And look !
No more unsightly leftover hole !
Waaaaaaayyyyy Coooool .......

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
passive to active

i have just bought a corvette standard 5 passive and would like to upgrade to active as it would make the sound perfect. i dont know alot about bass electronics upgrading etc. any help. 9 volt circuitry would be enough. also does anyone know of mec pick ups would fit a ibanez btb 405

Florin

OG
Reaction score
Do you have passive pickups and passive controls? If yes, you need to replace both.

Reaction score
So basically, I can order a Corvette Passive/Passive and then have a luthier fit it with active EMG pickups and also an active preamp? (Without drilling anything)

TWO of my friends had passive Corvettes and bought the EMG pick ups that come with the electronics and battery clip from Guitar centrer for $179, installed them and loved their tone difference!!

here:

or:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/EMG-EMG-J-Active-Bass-Pickup-Set-100093042-i1323645.gc

they said this was like night/day in the sound!!

Reaction score
passive corvette to active

yes its the passive/passive. basically i want wat i got active. i wasn sure if it was active or passive on the site i bought it off. jus a damn good price. any pointers to change to active and where to get the pre amps and controls from???

Florin

OG
Reaction score
Of course you can. Corvette $$ is the first example crossing my mind.

Reaction score
Thanks - I can think of a number of examples also.

That's why I was wondering why you said he should replace both. Did I miss something?

;)

golem

Philosopher King
Reaction score

TWO of my friends had passive Corvettes and bought
the EMG pick ups that come with the electronics and
battery clip from Guitar centrer for $179, installed
them and loved their tone difference!!

here:

or:
EMG EMG-J Active Bass Pickup Set and more Bass Pickups & Parts at GuitarCenter.com.

they said this was like night/day in the sound!!

Which just shows to go ya ... active PUs do
not necessarily need an active EQ system.
I followed your links ... and those are active
PUs but not total active systems, PUs only.

No doubt the basses would now sound very
different, but they have not actually become
active basses ... still no boost in the EQ.

Reaction score
corvette passive to active

so basically i can just add a pre amp to my passive an that should do it?

Reaction score

That's what I'm gonna do....well the hotel maintenance man is gonna do for me :d....soon as I get paid my friggin over time money!!

(Make sure you buy an active preamp for passive pickups, though)

Reaction score
Warwick makes an active 3 knob setup that would go in your Corvette. I gotta say though, I really like my passive corvette. It blew away the soundguys the first time I plugged in, and I can't imagine changing a thing.

Reaction score
i love the sound of my bass i just want more control over that treble and so i don av to keep changin my pedal and amp settings for each style of play. any ideas where i can get this active pre amp for passive pups

Florin

OG
Reaction score
Thanks - I can think of a number of examples also.

That's why I was wondering why you said he should replace both. Did I miss something?

;)
I understand now. Well, he said he wants to upgrade to active. This means to me only to install active pickups. The active electronics will not make your bass active, but it will give more control to the EQ.

You can do it.
i love the sound of my bass i just want more control over that treble and so i don av to keep changin my pedal and amp settings for each style of play. any ideas where i can get this active pre amp for passive pups

Look on the Sound of Wood you'll find them, look for the one with 3 pots.

Top Bottom