Newbie Question -Swamp ash vs Bubinga

Reaction score
Sorry if this has ben asked 1000 times before but how would you describe the diffenence between the tone of the swamp ash vs bubinga corvette passive? Thank You!

Reaction score
The bubinga vette sounds very focused and very good for cutting through the mix. It emphasizes the mids.
Swamp Ash is less dense and therefore creates a less focused sound with lots of bass. This makes the vette sound more traditional (but not very traditional due to the Ovangkol neck)

Reaction score
I tested a bubinga vette against a Swamp Ash 'vette not long ago. But the Ash-Vette was a $$. Ash sounded to me somehow undefined, and with less brilliances. Bubinga was very tight, had a nice growl, and was way more defined. For me, Bubinga is the winner of them both ;)

Reaction score
swamp ash/bubinga

Thank you both for your help. I used to have a bubinga corvette 4 string, but I had to sell it due to illness. I was recently fortunate enough to buy a new swamp ash 5 passive corvette at an unbelieveable price ($569) and it seemed to these newbie ears as not "sharp" enough in attack. I just bought a sans amp to give it a more versitile tone. The swamp ash is still a nice bass, but I didn't trust my memory since it was 4 years ago! The bubinga was really HEAVY though. I suspect this question was asked before and I appreciate the input!

Reaction score
I tested a bubinga vette against a Swamp Ash 'vette not long ago. But the Ash-Vette was a $$. Ash sounded to me somehow undefined, and with less brilliances. Bubinga was very tight, had a nice growl, and was way more defined. For me, Bubinga is the winner of them both ;)

Be careful - alot of that may well be coming from the $$ humbuckers.

;)

golem

Philosopher King
Reaction score

Be careful - alot of that [lack of definition] may
well be coming from the $$ humbuckers.

;)

Just cuz you got dual humbers don't hafta run
both near equal. Try the bridge PU alone, then
just dial in enuf neck to get the woof you need.

No one ever said a swamp ash StingRay lacked
definition. Also, there's a lotta jabbering on this
forum about favorite strings ... but then there's
also a lotta asking about "which strings for such
a model of bass". The former is BS hot air, but
the latter is the real question. So consider that
when you mess with a wood that you've never
played. Sadly, most manufacturors neglect this
by putting the same strings on all models.

Miki Santamaria

Warwick Endorser
Reaction score
I'm sure the Ash of a Corvette standard is not the same as the Ash of a Ibanez Gary Willis signature.
The ash has good response in all the frequencies. The tradicional bass sound.
Bubinga have a very good response in the mids that makes the tipical Warwick thumb growl. It is a very very heavy weight wood.

I prefer Swamp Ash.

Reaction score
Hi Ronald,

I've just picked up a new Ash Corvette - so now I have an Ash and a Bubinga 'Vette.

In the next day or two I'll record some samples for you using a DI from my head into an M-Audio USB Pre, and recorded in Audacity.

The basses will have the same strings, electronics and pickups - and the EQ will be the same on both, so the only difference you'll hear between the two will be from the timber.

:d

....clips on the way.

;)

Miki Santamaria

Warwick Endorser
Reaction score
Hi Ronald,

I've just picked up a new Ash Corvette - so now I have an Ash and a Bubinga 'Vette.

In the next day or two I'll record some samples for you using a DI from my head into an M-Audio USB Pre, and recorded in Audacity.

The basses will have the same strings, electronics and pickups - and the EQ will be the same on both, so the only difference you'll hear between the two will be from the timber.

:d

....clips on the way.

;)

Great!!!!!

Reaction score
Ash vs Bubinga Corvette

Wow, you guys are great. Thanks a million for all your help! I can't wait to hear the sound samples!

Take Care,

Ron

Reaction score
No sweat Ron,

I should be able to get them done over the weekend.

;)

Top Bottom