Wood treatment

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I remember reading a post a while back on alternate oils or waxes that can be used to protect and treat the natural finish basses. Does anyone know of something different from the Warwick wax I can use? I tend to be a hand sweater when I play, so my basses always end up feeling "gunky" after one session and I think the wax has something to do with it. My fender doesn't get like the wicks do...

I'm pretty sure I completely buffed all the excess out, because they always felt nice and smooth with no sticky spots, but once my sweaty hands get on them, they start to feel funky, and not the good funky ;)

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks

Reaction score
I use Howard Feed-N-Wax Beeswax personally.

Can't comment on the gunk feeling though. I try NOT to sweat on my bass.

Reaction score
Maybe treating your basses about twice a year with tung oil.The one that contains eurethane that dries completely.A fella on tb had the same problem a swore by it.

golem

Philosopher King
Reaction score

I use Howard Feed-N-Wax Beeswax personally.

Can't comment on the gunk feeling though.
I try NOT to sweat on my bass.

So thaz whaz on there .....

I've had your bubinga '99 Vett for about a
year. I'm not into housekeeping. Don't wax
floors, cars or Wicks. Still looks great to me.

Now if it ever does get all dry looking it will
get the Tru-Oil treatment just like my other
bubinga, which was VERY dried out when I
got it. The Tru-Oil has proven to be a zero
maintanence finish. I do wipe down basses
of ANY finish, quite well, with a dry cloth,
when I'm done playing.

Anywayz, so far, that Howard wax performs
like a permanent finish. How often do you
refresh your Howard waxed basses ?
I'd
be OK with 12 or 18 months, but I'll never
be one of those Wick Waxers dedicated to a
monthly "love massage" schedule.

BassRunner911

Warwick Endorser
Reaction score
I use Howard's Feed-N-Wax too. It's great!

Squeeze some out on an old rag (it'll come out looking like toothpaste), apply to bass, let sit a bit, and wipe off with a polishing rag. The orange oil will get all that gunk and dead skin and stuff off of your bass...it even made my frets shinier. Smells good too because it's part beeswax/ part orange oil.

It gets the job done, smells great, and makes the grain of the wood stand out.

You say you're a sweater, so maybe you'll know what i mean by this: On Ovangkol and Wenge necks, after you start sweating, you know how the wood kind of looks shiny? This wax makes the wood look like that for a while. I used it last month and my wood is still shiny.

I also have spots on the body where it's worn or dry because of where i rest my thumb. It's noticeably lighter. After using this wax it's...still noticeable, but better

Reaction score

So thaz whaz on there .....

I've had your bubinga '99 Vett for about a
year. I'm not into housekeeping. Don't wax
floors, cars or Wicks. Still looks great to me.

Now if it ever does get all dry looking it will
get the Tru-Oil treatment just like my other
bubinga, which was VERY dried out when I
got it. The Tru-Oil has proven to be a zero
maintanence finish. I do wipe down basses
of ANY finish, quite well, with a dry cloth,
when I'm done playing.

Anywayz, so far, that Howard wax performs
like a permanent finish. How often do you
refresh your Howard waxed basses ?
I'd
be OK with 12 or 18 months, but I'll never
be one of those Wick Waxers dedicated to a
monthly "love massage" schedule.

I only ever have 1-2 basses at a time, and they are usually the natural finishes. I usually linseed/wax them every few months to get the gunk off the fretboard and just give it a general cleaning.

Personally I dont wax the fretboard. To get the shine back in the frets, I take a scotch brite pad (green rough side) and gently take it down the neck over all the frets, but not hard enough to hit the wood. Works great to bring back a shine to all the frets.

The crap that comes off my fretboard makes me wanna puke. It's pretty nasty all the dirt that little cloth finds.

[EDIT] Should be noted that I dont gig. It's pure hobby in my own bedroom. If I sweat all over my bass it'd happen more often...

Reaction score
Nathan:
So you use the wax for the body and linseed for the fretboards?

Reaction score
I purchased some Feed-N-Wax, and applied it to PNUT I tonight. Buffed it out, and the bass looks, feels, and now smells like $100.

Now I will give it a couple days with me playing to see if it gets gunky. However, I can already tell a difference in the wood. Unfortunately, the Warwick wax doesn't go well with my sweaty hands.....

Reaction score
I like that Feed N Wax helps the grain pop out and also that orangy smell is awesome and nice to have.

I do not think $100 smell that good :x ;) :lol: I guess it depends where those $100 came from.:lol::lol:

I use Warwick Wax and Feed N Wax for the body and neck and Lemon Oil for the fretboard and have never had any issues with any of these until now.

Top Bottom